Sunday, April 8, 2012

My Cousin, Chucky

To listen to My Cousin, Chucky, click on the link below:


When I was a little girl, I had this cousin, Chucky. He was actually a first cousin once removed - is that how you say the child of my father's first cousin? It was cool, because he was close to my age, cute, and really nice to me. We were more than just cousins, we were friends. He was fun to be around and just a great kid. I remember the day he died. Snowmobile accident. I cried for three solid days because I didn't know where he was, or if I'd ever see him again. The funeral was horrifying. They propped him up in the coffin so you could see him through the whole service.

That's when I figured it out. I remember walking down Lincoln St. in Dover deep in thought. The body I had been drawn to stare at throughout the funeral, wasn't Chucky. It was the mortal body he had "worn", but had stepped out of. I know now that his physical body, made from corruptible matter, was dead, but his spirit made from heavenly matter, was not. Back then, I couldn't really put that into words, but I felt it in my heart, and it gave me comfort.

The day will come that we will all be resurrected from death - reunited with our perfected bodies. Everyone will, no matter your creed, belief, or even your unbelief. It's called Salvation.

What that means is that I will not only see Chucky and the many others who have returned to heaven, but that I will have a full and complete association with them again.

So, what is eternal life? Is it the same thing as salvation? It is not. We will pass through a keen judgment - down to our very thoughts, and if found worthy to inherit eternal life, we will - if not ~ we won't.

The most important thing that we can do in mortality is to keep the commandments ~ don't pretend you don't know them, you were born with them etched in your heart ~ choosing the right over the wrong in every aspect of your life, and don't pretend that you don't know right over wrong either. Christ will pierce you to the very center of your soul, and you will not be able to say ... I did not know.

7 comments:

  1. The last funeral I attended was for my aunt's husband. Insanely personal details aside, it served as a reminder of the man and how he had touched our lives in a good way. I know that he and others of my family who have passed on are watching over us and rooting for our good choices, supporting us in our pain, & laughing with us. They are never truly gone, just merely beyond our sight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. book, NO ANGEL, but the email address in the book, noangell@cox.net, bounces back with the message: "Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently" I've also searched all over your blog sites with no luck for a viable email address. So, how DOES one reach you?

    Fond Reader, Lorie Davis: LorieArt@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lorie! My new email is theresasneed@rocketmail.com You can also friend me (with a message so I know it's you) on facebook at Theresa Small Sneed

      Delete
  3. Well, THAT message was a loss! I'll try again and hope the first part doesn't get deleted. You are a hard lady to get hold of!

    I've tried emailing you with praise for your book, NO ANGEL, but the email address in the book, noangell@cox.net, bounces back with the message: "Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently" I've also searched all over your blog sites with no luck for a viable email address. So, how DOES one reach you?

    Fond Reader, Lorie Davis- LorieArt@gmail.com
    I'm not anonymous, but the profile won't allow any other choice to go through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I didn't see this last August and here it is a year later! Thank you for the kind words ... I have a second book in the series now and a third coming out soon - check out www.theresasneed.com

      Delete
  4. I didn't realize your inspiration for your angel series was your "second cousin." (your father would have been Chucky's first cousin once removed. First cousins' children are second cousins.
    That aside, I am anxious for your third book to come out.
    I'm so proud of you, dear friend. I was just talking about you tonight at our ANWA chapter meeting.
    If it wasn't for you . . .
    I feel we were destined to meet. You are the Johnny Appleseed of ANWA. Now you're in Maine and you started another chapter, which I love the name Maine Characters. So clever.
    Take care and keep writing!
    Love,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete